Monday, November 26, 2007

Mamas on the Compact: Official Start Date: 11/06/2007





From The Compact:


The Compact has several aims (more or less prioritized below):

  • To go beyond recycling in trying to counteract the negative global environmental and socioeconomic impacts of disposable consumer culture and to support local businesses, farms, etc. -- a step that, we hope, inherits the revolutionary impulse of the Mayflower Compact.
  • To reduce clutter and waste in our homes (as in trash Compact-er).
  • To simplify our lives (as in Calm-pact)
We've agreed to follow two principles (with exception):

#1 Don't buy new products of any kind (from stores, web sites, etc.)
#2 Borrow, barter, or buy used.

I have been researching compacting for a while. I first came across the concept on MDC. Then, I found the blog, Mamas on the Compact. I realized, that this was exactly what I was looking for. I decided to take the 12 month pledge-no use doing something half-assed! So, without further ado, here is my pledge: I pledge not to buy ANYTHING new. My exceptions are as follows:
  • Materials for creating gifts (I will try my best to find these second hand)
  • Shoes for the girls (see above) their feet grow so dog-gone fast!!
  • Gas and other needed car issues (oil, etc).

This is something I have been trying for a while, without really knowing it. I have implemented a strict reduce, reuse, recycle program in our home. We don't buy individually packaged food items (yogurts, drinks, etc), try to limit buying things with double packaging (bag in a box), try not to buy plastics, etc. I try to support my local farmers and businesses as much as possible. I have been decluttering my home slowly and make a lot of mine and my children's clothing. The Compact has given me a small community for me to glean from. People who are going through similar lifestyle changes to help support me in my journey.

Anywho, here I am finally posting my pledge! Wish me luck!

No comments: